John Lewis managed the BC Fire and Safety Training Centre from 1987 – 1997, during which time he introduced courses in Hazardous Materials Emergency Response, Rope Rescue, Confined Space Entry and Rescue, Industrial and Marine Fire Fighting and many others. He chaired the Hazmat Committee of the Fire Chiefs’ Association of BC 1990-1993 and has been active with the Fire Training Officers’ Association of BC from 1987 to the present. He is currently Chair of the IFSTA (International Fire Service Training Association) Marine Fire Fighting Committee.
Since 1997, John Lewis and Associates have presented courses and seminars to fire departments across North America. Clients include Vancouver B.C and other GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District) departments, Esquimalt, B.C., Los Angeles Fire Department, Toronto Fire Services and others.
- Marine fire fighting for land-based firefighters based on NFPA 1405
(a) For large port city fire departments:
- Five days: covering all aspects of NFPA 1405.
- Four days: all aspects of NFPA 1405 but without live fire sessions.
- Awareness Level: Two days, comprising lectures and ship visits.
- (Students may take a further two or three days at a later date to cover 1405 material.)
(b) Volunteer departments, with small port, lake or river responsibility:
- One or two days (depending on client needs): Company Officer Orientation to Marine Response.
- Vancouver Port Fireboats: Refresher Training for Fireboat Operator Instructors.
Four days of intensive coaching for Fire Officer Instructors whose duties include teaching an in-house Fireboat Operator Training Program. The coaching course covered Chartwork and Radar; Boat Operations; Vessel Response and Instructional Techniques. Each morning was spent in the classroom and each afternoon on the boat.
The Vancover Port Fireboats are five, forty foot long aluminum boats with a top speed of 29 knots. Coaching courses can be developed for personnel on any size fireboat.
Design and write training courses and materials. Provide technical review of curriculum and training manuals.